New York State - Alzheimer’s Disease
- There are currently 390,000 New Yorkers with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias.
- In 2025, approximately 460,000 New Yorkers aged 65 and older will suffer from this disease – an 18% increase.
- Alzheimer's costs Medicaid more than $4 billion each year in New York alone -- the highest cost of any state.
- There are 1.1 million Alzheimer's and dementia unpaid caregivers in the state.
- In 2016, they will provide 1.2 billion hours of care, valued at $14.2 billion.
- Unpaid caregivers in 2016 will themselves have $800 million in higher health care costs than non-caregivers.
- 2,639 people died just from Alzheimer's in 2014. Nearly 1/3 of seniors who die each year have Alzheimer's or a related dementia.
For the complete report on the latest facts and figures on Alzheimer's disease in the United States, please click here.