FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jane Ginsburg
518-867-4999 x208 (office)
New York State Alzheimer’s Association Rally Day Brings 200+ Alzheimer’s Advocates to Albany
March 8, 2016, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (schedule of events below)
The Well of the Legislative Office Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY
Over 200 advocates from throughout New York State will gather on March 8 for the Alzheimer’s Rally Day, sponsored by the Coalition of New York State Alzheimer’s Association Chapters. Individuals with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers, family, friends, and concerned allies are expected to gather in The Well of the Legislative Office Building to show their support for New York’s Alzheimer’s population and let state officials know that they must take an active role in the fight to create a dementia capable and dementia friendly New York State. Dr. Howard A. Zucker, commissioner of the New York State Department of Health, will deliver the keynote remarks at the event. Other legislators speaking will include Assemblyman Steven Cymbrowitz, Senator David Valesky, among others.
More than 380,000 Empire State residents have Alzheimer’s disease and over 1 million informal caregivers provide them care each and every day. As the number of people with Alzheimer’s or a related form of dementia continues to skyrocket, so will the costs borne by New York State.
On the day of event, media should check in at the registration table. Ginsburg can be reached on mobile phone: 518-301-1402. Jared Paventi, State Government Affairs Lead, can be reached on mobile phone at 315-278-5425.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 11 a.m.: Advocates begin to arrive
- 11:30 a.m.: Remarks from Elizabeth Smith-Boivin, President of the NYS Coalition and presentation of Certificates of Appreciation to David Hoffman, Director, Bureau of Community Integration and Alzheimer’s Disease, Division of Long Term Care, Dr. Howard A. Zucker, Commissioner of the New York State Department of Health, Senators David Valesky, Jack Martins, John DeFrancisco, Kemp Hannon and Assemblyman Steven Cymbrowitz
- 11:40 a.m.: Public awareness in NYS presntation
- 11:45 a.m.: Remarks by David Hoffman, Director, Bureau of Community Integration and Alzheimer’s Disease, Division of Long Term Care
- 11:50 a.m.: Keynote remarks by Dr. Howard A. Zucker, Commissioner of the NYS Department of Health
- 12:00 p.m.: Presentation of advocate of the year awards to Cathy James, of Central New York, and Elaine Sproat, of the Hudson Valley
- 12:10 p.m.: Catherine Wilson, advocate from Hudson Valley will speak
- 12:15 p.m.: Assemblyman Steven Cymbrowitz to address crowd
- 12:20 p.m.: Event ends
Back to News